Houston is a highly experienced Lean Six Sigma consultant. He is a GE Certified Six Sigma Project Leader and has worked as a MBB, Business Leader and Project Manager with UK and international scope with leading international companies in the aerospace and telecommunications sectors.
Using the principles of Lean Six Sigma to support the delivery of major projects, the rollout of Continuous Improvement Programmes company-wide and Lean training and implementation in both office and operational workspaces are Houston’s specialist areas.
Houston has strong interpersonal skills and believes best results are achieved through the involvement of those process experts who actually do the work every day.
At GE Aircraft Engines, after graduating as a Black Belt, Houston was Business Leader for the $50m accessory business setting up a new factory using Lean Six Sigma methods (Kaizen, one piece flow, TPM etc). He conducted major Six Sigma and Action Workout events and trained and mentored GBs from all areas of the process (Transactional and Workshop).
Whilst Head of Continuous Improvement at SR Technics Houston managed a Lean Sigma implementation in the Component Services Division across three international sites, ensuring that all control and governance were in place, and that CI projects were aligned to the delivery of the Business Plan. He devised 5S and Kaizen training, delivering 12 events in Transactional/Office and Workshop areas, as well as candidate selection and mentoring.
At FLS Aerospace, Houston led a project to integrate SR Technics Component maintenance workshops across three countries. As Component Maintenance Head, Houston had full P/L responsibility for a $60m turnover business, 16 workshops across three international sites with 330 employees.
Houston holds a BSc (Hons.) in Chemistry, an MSc in Manufacturing & Management and a Professional Diploma in Management.
Recent Experience includes:
- Delivering lean six sigma consulting and training assignments within a wide range of organisations including transport, power generation, packaging, defence and policing:
- For a major transport provider, delivered Lean training and value stream mapping; acted as workstream lead on benefits realisation to improve maintenance and track access.
- Led a number of transactional improvement projects at a power generation plant, delivering an improved process for tracking ‘pass through costs’, facilitated a Kaizen event to improve end to end investment from project conception through to timely completion and appraisal of construction.
- For a policing organisation, trained and mentored a senior team who, using LSS, delivered 10% budget savings and improved police presence through changes to working hours and officer location. In a functional Directorate trained GBs across the UK to improve performance within HR, Procurement and roll out of e solutions eg e-sickness.
- At Virgin Media, Houston worked on an UK End to End project to improve service delivery. He engaged with Wholesales Sales, Customer Services, Hardware Installation and Diversionary Planning, to deliver lean capability through training, building competence in applying key tools eg 5S and lean model office, coaching and working in partnership with business leaders to select, deliver and report on key projects