An energetic and highly experienced, Consultant, Trainer, Facilitator and Coach with strong communication skills. With wide experience in Operational and Project/IT Change Management, Manufacturing and Engineering, Mark has led effective Lean implementations and CI projects at strategic and operational levels in transactional, service, manufacturing & technical environments and in all functional and process areas of an organisation. He has trained and coached over 1800 people in improvement methodologies (including DMAIC and DMADV), in several sectors and in numerous countries, helping to enhance their skills and improve their processes.
Mark was accredited as a Lean Sigma Black Belt (Distinction) while working for Markem-Imaje as their Global Process Improvement Manager. In this role he was responsible for leading Continuous Improvement for the corporation; working with senior management on developing CI strategies and planning, implementing and communicating cross-functional improvement, tools and Lean Sigma methodologies.
Mark joined Catalyst Consulting from the UK General Insurance arm of Aviva. In his role as the Training and Competency Development Lead, Mark was responsible for interventions to the business in support of Process Excellence. These included the ‘Aviva Project Leader’ development programme which facilitated delivery of 68 projects; with benefits totalling >£3M of cost saving and capacity creation and the Tactical Problem Solving programme which resulted in >150 projects and benefit of ≈ £1M.
During his time at Catalyst Mark has designed and led a pan-European programme to develop a new Service Target Operating Model for a major Japanese IT/technology company who carry out ~20,000 service visits a day in Europe. This involved working with Service Delivery leadership and EMEA Country-level staff in 23 Operating Companies. Mark was the Lead Consultant, faciltiating key workshops to develop overall the TOM Vision using Business Model Canvas, to complete and assure the robustness of the clients Service Strategy Objectives and Targets, establishing the key programmes and projects using Strategy Deployment / Hoshin. The work Included training a cross functional group of business leaders and facilitating/coaching them through delivery of 13 Green belt project work streams which integrated to develop and deliver the new model. The project teams involved more than 80 people representing a ‘slice’ selected from across the European Operating Companies. Mark also established the governance including risk management of the transformation and supported the set-up of the PMO (Programme Management Office) to support the transformation project.
Mark is a BQF certified Lean-Six Sigma Master Black Belt. He has a first class degree in Physics with Astrophysics and more than thirty years experience with organisations across Europe, North America and the Far East, together with more than nine years experience as a Pensions Trustee. He has also held management level responsibility in Laser Safety, Health & Safety and ISO9001 Quality Systems Management and attained the PMI Award in Pension Trusteeship.
Based in Manchester, Mark has a number of interests including holding a pilot’s licence and being a qualified Scuba diver. However these days he spends his most of spare time playing bass guitar or riding a motorcycle.
“Mark has been and is helping our organisation to embrace LSS. He has fully trained over 60 people of all levels in the organisation to everyone’s satisfaction. Personally, I tend to get bored on training courses after 2-3 hours and Mark is the only trainer I met thus far who has kept me fully engaged and concentrated through all the many training days we had, with his incredibly quick mind, didactic skills and tons of relevant business examples. LSS expert, experienced, smart, funny and very social. Highly recommended to any organisation in any industry.”
Mark’s recent assignments have included:
- Training and coaching as part of a global Lean-Six Sigma rollout for a world leading beverage company. This has included delivering training in London, Bangalore, Singapore, Sydney and Connecticut USA, followed by coaching these delegates with their Green Belt projects.
- An ongoing Lean-Six Sigma deployment programme with a major US Ingredients manufacturer. This four-year relationship, with the organisation in the UK and Germany, has involved advising, Yellow belt and 5S training, and recently piloting an innovative Orange Belt training programme.
- Advanced Green Belt training for 30 delegates at a global Renewable Energy and engineering Corporation.
- Providing customised DMAIC and DMADV/Innovation and Design training at Green Belt and higher levels for several major financial services organisations in retail banking, insurance and payments processing. These engagements have included extensive coaching programmes to support project delivery and embed learning
- Lean-Six Sigma training for a group of PhD students at the Institute of Structural Materials, Swansea University.
- Development and delivery of the Facilitation Skills for CI Workshops programme; part of Catalyst’s practitioners’ Masterclass offering
- Designed and delivered training for Lean Six Sigma for Innovation and Design at a leading global port and terminal development group.
- Improvement and Innovation & Design training for high-tech research and spin-off organisations based at the Rutherford-Appleton Labs Harwell Campus
- He is presently part of a Catalyst team consulting on development of Corporate and Business planning for a Northern Ireland government agency. This work includes Visioning and Strategy Deployment activity (Hoshin Kanri)