Frequently Asked Questions
Who are Catalyst Consulting?
Catalyst Consulting was established in 1995 and is a leader in Lean Six Sigma with over 20 years of experience of deployment, training delivery, improvement event facilitation and coaching support.
We are fully accredited by the British Quality Foundation (BQF) and responsible for the Lean Six Sigma for Dummies and Lean Six Sigma Business Transformation for Dummies bestsellers.
Our overriding aim is to transfer skills and expertise. Feedback on our Lean Six Sigma programmes is consistently excellent with delegates scoring an average of 9 (out of 10) – we use the Net Promoter System (NPS) and our feedback scores are better than the world’s best-loved brands.
Why Catalyst for online training?
- Our unique approach to online training brings the classroom experience to you! The core of our learning material is a series of bite-sized videos, recorded in live training sessions
- A detailed roadmap to lead you through the video materials
- Exercises for you to practise the main tools (with answers!)
- Copies of the slides used in the classroom
- A project guide and a high-level roadmap to explain the key steps and objectives within each project
- PDF of our highly regarded book, The Lean Six Sigma Improvement Journey
- Catalyst’s Process Guide App
- Guide to preparing your project storyboard
- The SPC Plus tool for statistical analysis of data (with our Green Belt package)
- Voiced-over Power Points are only used occasionally to introduce or link some topics
- You will have access to all online resources for 12 months
- You can access to your online training course from anywhere in the world
- You can also access the training on mobile devices when and wherever you like!
- By using your training to deliver an improvement project, you can achieve world recognised British Quality Foundation certification. It is our goal that you not only achieve your certification but also be an effective improvement practitioner in your workplace with the accompanying personal satisfaction and career progression opportunities
What are your terms & conditions?
Catalyst operates an open and transparent approach as we value your custom, so we have tried to ensure that our terms and conditions are easy to understand.
How do I pay for the course?
- Credit or debit card
For credit or debit card purchases we use a secure third party solution called Sage Pay and our checkout runs on the Shopify platform.
If you would like to pay by invoice / BACS please call us on +44 (0)845 345 2282
What happens if I want to cancel my purchase?
We are confident that you will be highly satisfied with our online training. Do make sure you read the detailed programme information and view the taster video before you make your purchase. Of course we’d also be happy to speak to you to clarify anything you would like to discuss.
You’ll need to call us on +44 (0)845 345 2282 to cancel your purchase.
How do I know this is the right course for me?
If you’re not sure which course is best suited for you, give us a call today on +44 (0)845 345 2282 or drop us a line on firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll call you back.
Are there any prerequisites to the courses?
Generally speaking No. However some courses may require the completion of prior modules. Yellow Belt and Green Belt courses do not have any prerequisites
Do I get access right away?
If you are paying online using our checkout facility you will be given access to the Business Improvement Zone (BIZ) immediately.
You will receive two emails:
1) Confirmation of your order and receipt
2) A welcome mail with a link to the course in the BIZ
When will I be able to start the course?
You can start our courses any time after purchase. All the materials and instructions are online, and you can complete the course at your own pace.
How long do I have to complete it?
You will have online access for 12 months, from the point of enrolment. Access can be extended at an additional cost for 12 months , Green Belt £400 plus VAT and Yellow Belt £200 plus VAT.
Do you offer discounts for groups?
Yes, we offer discounts for groups, please call us on +44 (0)845 345 2282 for further information.
What have previous customers said about Catalyst’s training?
Feedback on our training courses is consistently excellent with delegates scoring an average of 9 (out of 10) - we use the Net Promoter System (NPS) and our feedback scores are at world class levels. You can see more on our client testimonials page
What are the minimum system requirements?
Any modern device with an up to date browser
Can I use the course on a mobile device?
Yes all our course videos are mobile optimised, making it easy for you to watch videos or access materials from wherever you are and whenever you like.
Can I access my course from multiple devices?
Yes you can access your courses on multiple devices.
Do I need Minitab or any other additional software?
Unlike some of our competitors, you do not need Minitab software to complete our online Green Belt course. Many Green Belt projects do not require the level of statistical training which would involve statistical software. However, we do provide detailed information on using data in your projects based on Excel and SPC Plus (SPC Plus is included free in the Green Belt package).
If you do require training in the more advanced statistical tools, you can upgrade to our Advanced Green Belt programme or Black Belt programme – which are Minitab based.
How long will it take to complete the course?
In the classroom, the course duration is six days so it would make sense to set aside a similar amount of time. Of course, you have flexibility to move faster or more slowly to suit your own schedule. If you are undertaking an improvement project to apply your learning to, or in pursuit of certification, you can expect to spend around 100 hours on your project.
What is the course process?
- Enrol in our Business Improvement Zone (BIZ) where you will have access to all of your resources including guidance on deciding your learning strategy
- Make contact with your assigned coach as soon as you are ready
- Review the high level roadmap and project guides which will lead you through the tutorials topic by topic
- Complete the quizzes and practical exercises when indicated
- Receive course completion certificate
- You may if desired, sit the (optional) online BQF Green Belt or Yellow Belt exam – included at no extra cost. This is a requirement if you intend to pursue BQF Green Belt or Yellow Belt certification.
- If you are going to complete a project, you can work on it in parallel with training or wait until you have completed training. (Either way, you can constantly refer to the materials for 12 months)
- If you want to be BQF certified, compile and submit your project storyboard and attend an assessment interview (usually by phone)
- Receive your Green Belt or Yellow Belt certificate from the BQF. Green Belt names will appear on their register of certified Green Belts
- You may wish, now or later, to undertake further training to build on your knowledge
- Whether you do or not, please stay in touch with us and your fellow Lean Six Sigma practitioners through our Practitioners Network
Do I need a project to complete the course?
We do not require a project to be delivered for the training course to be completed, though we strongly recommend that you accompany the coursework with a meaningful project. A real-world project will significantly enhance the learning experience because you can use it to directly practise the concepts and tools as you complete the course, and because relating the learning to real situations really brings it to life.
Successful project delivery is required if you wish to become a certificated Green Belt and for Yellow Belts a project or evidence of practical application is necessary.
What support do you offer to help me with the training?
You will be assigned one of our classroom trainers as your personal coach. Our trainers are all experienced Lean Six Sigma practitioners who have been there and done it for real prior to joining Catalyst. You will be able to email your coach for guidance as you work through the training programme, for example if you are unsure of how or when to apply a certain tool.
Do I receive a training certificate?
On finishing the programme you will receive a training certificate which provides evidence that you have completed this widely recognised and respected training course – we have had thousands of previous highly satisfied customers from major organisations of all kinds all over the world.
If you decide to sit the British Quality Foundation exam (included in the course price), you will receive a printed confirmation when you pass.
How can I become British Quality Foundation certified?
As a partner in the Lean Six Sigma Academy, Catalyst has played a major role in developing the British Quality Foundation’s (BQF) certification processes. BQF certification provides independent verification of competency in applying the Lean and Six Sigma methods across a range of expertise levels. It is widely recognised by your current and any future employer
If you decide to put your training into practice on a business improvement project, you can have this assessed by the BQF. You’ll be required to submit a project storyboard (for Green Belt) or evidence of your practical application of tools and methods (for Yellow Belt) and discuss this during an assessment interview, which is done by telephone.
If you are successful, you will receive a BQF Lean Six Sigma certificate from them. There is an additional cost for certification.
Do I have an option at point of payment for certification?
Yes – simply select the option for course and certification
Is the certification internationally recognised?
Yes British Quality Foundation Certification is internationally recognised. Successful candidates also receive an official certificate and are added to the BQF Certification Register.
The training is also aligned with the American Society of Quality (ASQ) body of knowledge and our Green Belt course is approved by the Institute for Continuous Improvement in Public Services (ICiPs)
Do I have to do an exam?
The exam is provided and included in the training price. It is separate from the various quizzes you will come across as you progress through the training course.
If you don’t wish to pursue BQF certification to become a certificated Green Belt or Yellow Belt, you do not have to take the exam. However if you do want to achieve certification, taking and passing the exam is compulsory.
It is an open book exam, meaning that you can consult your course materials as you work through the questions. It is multiple choice. You’ll be notified of the result instantly on completion – free of charge re-sit is available if you don’t pass first time round.
How many CPD points is the course worth?
Our Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Course is equivalent to 80 CPD points
Can I add certification after I’ve completed the course?
Yes – you can opt for certification before, during or after completing the course.
Can I bolt on / upgrade to other courses?
Many delegates build on their knowledge. The standard upgrades are:
- Green Belt training (if you’re starting with Yellow Belt training)
- Advanced Green Belt (adds a rich set of data tools based on Minitab software)
- Managing Change for Lean Six Projects – an essential component of successful business project execution
- Black Belt (further advanced data tools using Minitab as well as the Managing Change module)
- Lean Six Sigma for Innovation and Design (Design for Six Sigma)
These programmes will be available online or you can take them today through our open programme in London, Birmingham and Edinburgh.
- We’re real people, not animations or robots! The training is relevant and lively, delivered by highly skilled Lean Six Sigma experts, with many years of practical experience of applying the Lean Six Sigma approach in the workplace
- To help you succeed, one of our team (aligned as appropriate to your industry) will be assigned to you personally to support you as you progress through the training programme
- The videos are integrated with quizzes at the end of each module to check your knowledge and provide you with immediate feedback. Students can review quiz results and retry exercises whenever they wish
- The videos are complemented by a rich set of resource materials including;